Sunday 14 October 2012

25% cold, 75% rain drops keep falling on my head

I was planning on getting something out here a few days ago, but then I got sick.  Being sick mostly sucks.  You know you're eventually going to pick something up, its just a matter of when.  Thankfully I got this cold at a semi-ideal time (super ideal time is when your not racing at all and just putting in some base mileage).  The time qualifies as semi-ideal because there are no major races for a few weeks, so plenty of time to get healthy again.  In general, I'm a lucky SOB and don't get sick too often.  I can't even remember the last time I got sick.  In fact, sometimes at the end of a season, when I have a few weeks to run relaxed, I go out of my way to try and get sick.  Yeah, it sounds messed up to deliberately get a cold, but if you know your going to get sick, you might as well do it on your own schedule.

So we had a really nice summer over here in Vancouver.  It was so wonderful and spectacular that we didn't have any rain drops fall on our heads for all of August and September.  It was so dry that even trails and parks were closed do to "extreme fire conditions."  I ignored all the signs and ran off limit trails anyway.  Made me feel like some kind of bad ass rebel.  As wickedly wicked as the nice dry weather was, it was not meant to last forever and we finally have rain drops falling on our heads.  Its actually a bit of an understatement to say "rain drops," as we haven't seen drops for the past few days, but buckets of water instead.  I'm now three for three in being completely soaked and drenched after my runs.  I have all sorts of awesome rashes on my chest and behind my knees (half tight chaffing?)  Today was a beyond miserable 2 hour run.  We started going a little nutty after a dozen miles or so and started jumping in puddles trying to splash each other.  Oddly enough we couldn't actually get any wetter. 

Now I started getting a bit off topic here, but I'm talking about rain (and lots of it) because Vancouver (Jericho) is hosting national cross champs again this year.  Those of you who were here last year, or saw the pictures know what a pleasant afternoon we had last year with sunshine, no wind, dry hard footing, and warm temperatures.  Oh wait, that's what we had on Wednesday when we did a work out at Jericho.  Amazingly enough, when we were down there today the place was already flooded, and it only took three days.  So heads up to all of you thinking about traveling out to Vancouver at the end of November for Nats, the weather will probably suck and it will likely be a mud bath yet again.  Remember those 13mm spikes. 

Next up, is the Whistler50.  Its a 8 person, 80km relay (alternating 13k and 7k legs).  This is the events 2nd year (replaced Haney2Harrison).  We dominated the race last year and were planning on doing the same this year.  We're mostly made up of Point Grey guys but for kicks we have a Newfie for good times and laughs. This event generates awesome stories.  Check out our 2012 t-shirt.  We name our team after outhouse/port-a-potty brands.  Last year we were Team Honey Bucket, this year Point Grey Port-A-Loo.  If you know any awesome port-a-potty names let me know!!  We'll need something fresh for next year.  Heck I'd even send you a t-shirt if you have an awesome name for us.

2 comments:

  1. keep trucking through the rain!

    porta-john

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of 'Pit Stop' port-a-potties around Dunbar.

    Defend that title! Hopefully no trains this year

    ReplyDelete