Sunday 12 August 2012

97% recyclable, 3% hairy

I'm knocking off those birthday resolutions at an outstanding pace.  Actually, I'm not really, all I've done so far is shaved my face.  But that was a big deal to me.  I grew quite attached to the twelve week beard.  It was a part of me.  In fact, I was feeling lonely and naked without it over the past couple of days, and I think I look funny now.  I needed something to remember the beard by, so I wrote a poem. recyclable 

Oh Beard


Oh beard, how I loved you so
Full of curls and bushiness
You were my facial fro
Bear Bare Grills

Oh beard, how I miss you now
Cold and naked, my face doth not glow
Unrecognizable to myself, the mirror so hollow

Oh beard, how my manliness has been shamed
But a boy I am again
To be ID’d for not being of age

Oh beard, will you come back again?
Only now does stubble remain
Twelve weeks to look the same

Oh beard, how I loved you so


The good thing about shaving the beard off is that I look skinny now.  And by skinny I mean fit.  And by fit I mean the legs are coming back nicely and the running for the past couple weeks has been solid.  Back to back mid 80 mile weeks so I'll ramp it up a little this week.  Last week saw a couple workouts, nothing too fancy.  I ran a 5 X 1000m workout on Tuesday in Pemberton.  Pemberton is mostly awesome (I like small towns), but it was also 35 degrees out with 95% humidity.  Reminded me of being in Trinidad back in March.  I didn't know I could sweat that much.  It was to the point where my trainers were completely soaked and squeaking away for the final couple miles.  Its funny too, because I don't mind running in the heat (anything over 20 degrees by Vancouverite standards).  I think the heat makes a person more responsible.  You pay the price on a run if your not properly hydrated going into it and if you don't go through all the right recovery motions after your screwed on the next run.  In the winter or during cooler parts of the year you can get away with a bit more.  So the heat helps establish good routines which is one of those things you need to have to be a damn good runner apparently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment